Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Serious Decisions Ahead

Well...
Keith and I are the caretakers for his 5months shy of 90 year old grandma and 87 year old grandpa. They had 2 children of their own. They had a daughter named Connie who died when she was 16 of leukemia and Keith's dad who died in a tragic out of nowhere accident at the age of 48. (what a rough life. You should never out live both of your children.) Anyways that leaves Keith and I to care for them. To this point they have never really required a whole lot of care and have been kind of more like second parents to us rather than grandparents. I always joke and say some day we are going to have to find some friends our own age but to tell you the truth we have always just really enjoyed their company. Grandma has several major health issues congestive heart failure, failing kidneys, and several other smaller issues but they until a couple months ago have been more active than what me and Keith even are. They would just decide to go to Evansville on a whim and do some shopping it is just amazing. You would never have guessed their real ages. Well something has changed and it seems to be getting worse all of the sudden. This week alone grandma has fallen down 3 times. She went to bed for a couple hours the other night and woke up in the middle of the night and thought it was morning and started making breakfast for grandpa ( I told her she was just like Dennys serving breakfast all night long- made her chuckle). These are things that are just so unlike her. Anyways it is so frightening. She is just looking so frail and weak and acting so confused at times. Grandpa is got some Alzheimers. Not terribly severe but enough to make you nervous about him driving around by himself. So I am beginning to wonder what the right thing to do with them is. They are proud people and don't really think they need help. Before long I am thinking I am going to have to find them someone to come in and help them though. Ugh. It is just worrying me to death. I hope we can make all these big decisions in a way that will appease them. Please keep our family in your prayers as we go through these next few months. Maybe she will bounce back from this episode but her health just seems to be declining.
On a brighter note...
My children are all still crazy. Sam is doing more and more walking every day. He isn't a full time walker yet but he is getting closer everyday. He has had only 1 bottle in 3 days so I guess we are about done with that. I am so tired of washing bottles and buying formula but I am not ready for him to be a big boy yet. (I am not in a hurry for him to get off the bottle but he does not like it anymore. He wants a big boy cup like Connor uses)
Connor didn't embarass me today (but I am pretty sure that is just because I didn't take him in public LOL) That makes for a good day for him and he has his own vaccum now so he is in heaven. Since he has ruined our old one we just decided it could be his own personal one. We are changing out the knob on our coat closet when we get a new one so he can't ruin it !!!
My Maggie girl is the sweetest thing you have ever seen.. Literally she is the most caring and compassionate kid ever. She told Keiths grandma tonight with tears in her eyes grandma please try not to fall down anymore you are really scaring me. She just melts my heart how much love she has to give. (Although she says Connor just drives her crazy!! LOL!!)
Anyways this blogging is like free therapy (LOL)why did I not start this sooner. It is a great outlet. That is my story for the day. Take care.
Lindsay

3 comments:

  1. Oh lindsay, if I were like that, I'd ask you to recall a conversation we had about blogging just a few short months ago..;)) hehe, I'm so kidding!! Btw, since you're new to blogging, I wasn't sure if you knew how to see my new posts. You have to click on the title (Koen Kraze) and not the last post I did to see new ones...weird. Oh and I just realized that you asked me on fb to help you w/pics on here. It looks like you've got it figured out, but if you still need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie- are you trying to start something with me? LOL!! You are exactly right and you can say I told you so. Bring it on... Anyway I have been trying to add your site to the blogs I follow and it is not working out so well. This private thing is confusing me. Did you read my facebook comment to you? Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you like always! i SO hate t hear that about grandma! Let me know what I can do! Love all of you!

    ReplyDelete